Gordon Godfrey was born in Sydney in 1892, and studied at Fort Street High School and the University of Sydney. He took his BA with first class honours in 1914, and his MA with first class honours and the University Medal (the second ever awarded) in 1919. He graduated with his BSc in 1922.
Godfrey entered the NSW teaching service in 1916, and was an assistant master at both Sydney Boys High School and Parramatta High School. From 1921 he was head teacher of physics, and later lecturer-in-charge of the Department of Physics, at the Sydney Technical College. At the college he developed the new diploma course in optometry and then created the diploma course in physics. In 1951 he was appointed an Associate Professor of the NSW University of Technology (later renamed the University of New South Wales) - he was the first representative of theoretical physics at the University. Following the death of Professor Gordon Godfrey in 1979, and his wife Mrs Mabel Godfrey in 1980, the Godfrey Bequest was established. This gift funds a number of initiatives supporting theoretical physics at UNSW, primarily by providing financial support to assist in the travel and accommodation expenses of academic visitors to the University [...]