Paul E. ReimerPhysicist
Argonne National Laboratory,
Medium Energy Physics
My research involves the study of the properties of the nucleon and of nuclei at the quark level. In this research, the Drell-Yan process is exploited to probe selectively the antiquark distributions of the target nuclei. In Fermilab E866/NuSea , this technique was used to determine the ratio of anti-d to anti-u quarks in the proton, which showed a surprisingly large flavor asymmetry in the sea quark distributions. I am a co-spokespersons of Fermilab E-906/SeaQuest which will use a proton beam extracted from the Fermilab Main Injector to extend this measurement with significantly better statistical precision to larger values of xBj. E906 will also examine the antiquark distributions in nuclei, looking for an antiquark excess which would signal the presence of nuclear pions; absolute Drell-Yan cross sections as a measurement of the absolute magnitude of the sea quark distributions; and partonic energy loss in cold nuclear matter. As a member of the HERMES collaboration, I participate in the study of the longitudinal and transverse spin distributions of quarks in the nucleon.
I am also interested in studies of fundamental electroweak symmetries. These can be accessed at low energies using the CEBAF accelerator at the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (JLab). I am co-spokesperson on two proposals, the 6 GeV PV-DIS E08-011 and the 12 GeV PVDIS (E12-07-102) that will together use Parity Violating Deep Inelastic Scattering to measure sin2θW and the quark-electron C2q coupling constants.
|2004-present||Physicist, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL|
|1999-2004||Assistant Physicist, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL|
|1996-1999||Postdoctoral Research Appointee, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM||1996||Ph.D. Physics, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL|
- Measurement of parity violation in electron-quark scattering, D. Wang et al. (The Jefferson Lab PVDIS Collaboration) Nature 506, 67-70 (06 February 2014).
- Exploring the Partonic Structure of Hadrons through the Drell-Yan Process, P.E. Reimer, J. Phys. G34, S107 (2007), arXiv:0704.3621.
- Reevaluation of the Parton Distribution of Strange Quarks in the Nucleon, A. Airapetian, et al. (HERMES Collaboration) Phys. Rev. D89 (2014) 097101, arXiv:1312.7028 and Measurement of Parton Distributions of Strange Quarks in the Nucleon from Charged-Kaon Production in Deep-Inelastic Scattering on the Deuteron, A. Airapetian, et al. (HERMES Collaboration) Phys. Lett. B666, 446 (2008), arXiv:0803.2993.
- Measurement of the Flavor Asymmetry in the Nucleon Sea , E.A. Hawker et al. (Fermilab E866/NuSea Collaboration) Phys. Rev. Lett. 80 3715 (1998), arXiv:hep-ex/9803011 and Improved Measurement of the anti-d/anti-u Asymmetry in the Nucleon Sea, R.S. Towell et al. (Fermilab E866/NuSea Collaboration) Phys. Rev. D 64, 052002 (2001), arXiv:hep-ex/0103030.
- Measurement of J/ψ and ψ' Suppression in p-A Collisions at 800 GeV/c, M.J. Leitch et al. (Fermilab E866/NuSea Collaboration) Phys. Rev. Lett. 84, 3256 (2000), arXiv:nucl-ex/9909007.
- Anti-d/anti-u Asymmetry and the Origin of the Nucleon Sea, J.C. Peng et al. (Fermilab E866/NuSea Collaboration) Phys. Rev. D 58, 092004 (1998), arXiv:hep-ph/9804288.
- Measurement of Angular Distributions of Drell-Yan Dimuons in p + d interactions at 800 GeV/c, L.Y. Zhu et al. (Fermilab E866/NuSea Collaboration) Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 082301 (2007), arXiv:hep-ex/0609005.
- The Pion Parton Distribution Function in the Valence Region, K. Wijesooriya, P.E. Reimer and R.J. Holt, Phys. Rev. C 72 065203 (2005), arXiv:nucl-ex/0509012.
- Parton Energy Loss Limits and Shadowing in Drell-Yan Dimuon Production, M.A. Vasilev et al. (Fermilab E866/NuSea Collaboration) Phys. Rev. Lett. 83, 2304 (1999), arXiv:hep-ex/9906010.
- A High Resolution Lead Scintillating Fiber Electromagnetic Calorimeter, D.W. Hertzog, P.T. Debevec, R.A. Eisenstein, M.A. Graham, S.A. Hughes, P.E. Reimer, R.L. Tayloe, Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A294 446 (1990).
Paul E. Reimer
2 July 2014