Donald F. Geesaman
- Address: Physics Division
Argonne National Laboratory
9700 S. Cass Avenue
Argonne, IL 60439
- Phone: 630/252-4059
- FAX: 630/252-3903
- e-mail: email@example.com
- 1971 B.S., Mineral Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO
- 1972 M.A., Physics, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY
- 1976 Ph.D., Physics, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY
- 1976-1978 Research Associate, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL
- 1978-1981 Assistant Physicist, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL
- 1981-1991 Physicist, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL
- 1991-2000 Senior Physicist, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL
- 2000-2007 Director, Physics Division, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL
- 2008-Present Distinguished Argonne Fellow and Associate Director of the Physics Division, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL
- Fellow, American Physical Society
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Chair, EPICS working group of the LAMPF users group -- 1982
- Subject, Being a Scientist, Chicago Museum of Science and Industry
Process of Science Exhibit -- 1982
- Member, Nuclear Science Advisory Committee Long Range Planning
Working Group -- 1983
- Member, AGS II Task Force -- 1983-1984
- Member, Nuclear Physics Subcommittee, advisory to LAMPF users
group -- 1984
- Member, Technical Advisory Panel of LAMPF users group -- 1984-1985
- Member, Board of Directors of LAMPF users group -- 1985-1986
- Member, Indiana University Cyclotron Program Advisory Committee -- 1985-1988
- Member, Board of Directors of MIT Bates users group -- 1987-1988
- Member, Organizing Committee for the Conference on the
Intersections between Particle and Nuclear Physics --
- Member, Editorial Board of Physical Review C -- 1987-1989
- Member, Program Advisory Committee for the MIT Bates Linear
Accelerator Center -- 1988-1992
- Member, Nuclear Science Advisory Committee Subcommittee on
Instrumentation -- 1988-1989
- Member, Nuclear Science Advisory Committee -- 1989-1992
- Convener, DNP/NSAC Town Meeting on Electromagnetic Probes -- 1989
- Spokesman,Fermilab Experiment E665 -- 1989-1991
- Chair, Bates Large Acceptance Toroid Spectrometer Technical
Review Committee -- 1991
- Member, Program Committee of the Division of Nuclear Physics of
the APS -- 1991-1992
- Member, Brookhaven Technical Advisory Committee for RHIC
Detectors -- 1991-1997
- Chair, Organizing Committee of the Workshop on Future Directions
in Particle and Nuclear Physics at Multi-GeV Hadron
Facilities, Brookhaven National Laboratory, March 1993
- Chair, Indiana University Cyclotron Facility and Nuclear Theory
Center Visiting Committee -- 1995-1997; Member, 1994-1997
- Chair, Bonner Prize Committee of the Division of Nuclear Physics
of the APS -- 1995; Member, 1994-1995
- Member, NSAC Subcommittee on RHIC Experimental Equipment -- 1995
- Member, NSAC Long Range Plan Working Group -- 1995
- Member, BNL Director's Review of the RHIC SPIN Physics Program -- 1995
- Member, Board of Directors of CEBAF Users Group -- 1994-1996
- Member, National Advisory Committee of the National Institute
of Nuclear Theory -- 1995--1998
- Convener, DNP/NSAC Town Meeting on Hadron Probes -- 1995
- Chair, Jefferson Laboratory Users Group Board of Directors -- 1997-1999
- Member, Editorial Committee of Annual Reviews of Nuclear and
Particle Science -- 1997-present
- Associate Editor, Physical Review C -- 1997-2001
- Chair, Jefferson Laboratory Program Advisory Committee -- 1999-2001
- Member, NSERC Subatomic Physics Grant Selection Committee -- 1999-2002
- Member, Fellowship Committee of the Division of Nuclear Physics
of the American Physical Society -- 2000-2001
- Member, International Review Panel of Research at the COSY
Accelerator of Forschungszentrum Juelich -- 1999
- Member, DNP National Nuclear Physics Summer School Committee --
- Member, BNL High Energy and Nuclear Physics Program Advisory Committee
- Member, NSAC Long Range Plan Working Group -- 2001
- Member, Jefferson Lab DOE Science and Technology Review Panel --
- Member, Brookhaven Science Associates Corporate Oversight Review --2001
- Member, DOE Operations Review of CEBAF and RHIC -- 2002
- Member, RHIC Detector Technical Advisory Committee --2002-present
- Member, Review of the Rutgers University Physics Department -- 2002
- Chair, External Visiting Committee of the Physics Department of the
Colorado School of Mines -- 2005-2008, Member, 2002-2008.
- Chair, Conventional Weapons and Explosives Working Group, DOE Division
of Nuclear Physics Workshop on the Role of the Nuclear
Physics Research Community in Combating Terrorism -- 2002
- Chair, JLab Scientific Policy Advisory Group -- 2002-present
- Member, Southeastern Universities Research Association Board of Trustees
and Jefferson Lab Committee -- 2003-present
- Member, Scientific Advisory Council of the Institute of Nuclear Physics
of Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH -- 2003-2005
- Chair, NSAC Subcommittee on Performance Measures -- 2003
- Chair, Division of Nuclear Physics, American Physical Society --
2004-2005; Chair-elect 2003-2004; Vice-Chair 2002-2003;
- Chair, Program Committee of the Division of Nuclear Physics of the
American Physical Society -- 2003
- Member, Program Advisory Committee for GSI FAIR Project -- 2004-
- Member, Nuclear Science Advisory Committee -- 2004
- Chair, Dissertation Award Committee of the Division of Nuclear Physics
of the American Physical Society -- 2004
- Member, FNAL Proton Driver Scientific Advisory Group -- 2004-2005
- Editor, Physics Letters B -- 2004-present
- Member, SURA Institutional Management Review of Jefferson Lab -- 2004
- Member, NSAC Subcommittee on the Implementation of the 2002 Long
Range Plan -- 2005
- Member, OECD Global Science Forum Working Group on Nuclear
Physics -- 2005-2007
- Chair, APS Fellowship Committee of the Division of Nuclear Physics. -- 2006
- Member, NSF Physics Division Committee of Visitors, chair-Nuclear
Physics subcommittee. -- 2006
- Member, Hadron Physics Programme Advisory Council of Forschungszentrum
Juelich GmbH. -- 2006-
- Member, External Review Committee of the Physics Department of Yale
University. -- 2006
- Member, DOE Selection Committee for the Ernest O. Lawrence Award
in the High Energy and Nuclear Physics category. -- 2006
- Member, American Physical Society Fellowship Committee. -- 2007-2009
- Member, Selection Committee for the Hans A. Bethe Prize of the
American Physical Society. -- 2007-2009.
- Correspondent, Nuclear Physics News. -- 2007-.
- Member, National Science Foundation DUSEL S3 Site Selection Committee. -- 2007
- Chair, Scientific Advisory Committee for the Hadron Physics I3 European
Community-Research Infrastructure Activity. -- 2007-.
- Member, SURA Jefferson Laboratory Director Search Committee. -- 2007.
- Member, KEK-PS External Review. --2008.
- Member, EURISOL Site Investigation Panel. --2008-2009.
- Chair, APS Review of Physical Review C and its Editor. -- 2008-2009.
- Co-Chair, NSAC Isotopes SubCommittee, --2008-2010.
- Member, IUPAP C-12 Commission on Nuclear Physics. --2009-2014.
- Chair, Selection Committee for the Tom W. Bonner Prize of the American Physical Society. -- 2010, Vice-Chair 2009.
- Member, DOE HEP Working Group on Accelerators for America's Future. --2009-2010.
Donald Geesaman is a Distinguished Argonne Fellow and a former Director of the
Physics Division at Argonne National Laboratory. He received his B.S.
(1971) from the Colorado School of Mines and M.A. and Ph.D. (1976) from
the State University of New York at Stony Brook. After his Ph.D. he
joined Argonne National Laboratory and was promoted to Senior Physicist
in 1991. He is a fellow of the American Physical Society and the
American Association of the Advancement of Science and was elected the
Chair of the Division of Nuclear Physics of the APS for 2004-2005. He
has served on the Board of the Directors of users groups at M.I.T.
Bates, LAMPF, and Jlab, Program Advisory Committees at IUCF, M.I.T.
Bates, Jlab, BNL, and GSI, been the chair of the Board of Directors of
the Jefferson Lab Users Group and chair of the Jefferson Lab Program
Advisory Committee. Dr. Geesaman has also served on the Nuclear Science
Advisory Committee and numerous NSAC subcommittees, most recently
co-chairing the NSAC Isotopes Subcommittee from 2008-2010. He was an Associate
Editor of /Physical Review C/ and is currently an Editor of Physics
. Dr. Geesaman's recent research focuses on understanding the
implications of nucleon substructure in nuclear physics and on
understanding the structure of nuclei. This includes measurements of
deep inelastic muon scattering at FNAL, measurements of the antiquark
distributions of the proton in Drell-Yan experiments at FNAL, tests of
color transparency in electroproduction experiments at FNAL, SLAC and
Jefferson Lab and several experiments at Jefferson Lab to examine the
structure of the proton and its meson fields in the nuclear medium. The
nuclear structure work includes electron scattering studies and planning for
radioactive beam facilities. He is the author of more than
100 scientific publications.
Selected Recent papers
- Improved measurement of the d-bar/u-bar asymmetry in the nucleon sea
R. S. Towell, et al.
Phys. Rev. D 64, 052002 (2001)
- Measurement of the High Energy Two-Body Deuteron
Photodisintegration Differential Cross Section
E. C. Schulte, et al.
Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 102302 (2001)
- Longitudinal Electroproduction of Charged Pions from 1H, 2H, and 3He
D. Gaskell, et al.
Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 202301 (2001)
- Measurement of longitudinal and transverse cross sections in the 3He(e,e'pi+)3H reaction at W=1.6 GeV
D. Gaskell, et al.
Phys. Rev. C 65, 011001(R) (2002)
- Nuclear transparency from quasielastic A(e,e'p) reactions up to
Q2 = 8.1 (GeV/c)2
K. Garrow, et al.
Phys. Rev. C 66, 044613 (2002)
- Separation of the longitudinal and transverse cross sections in the 1H(e,e'K+)Lambda and 1H(e,e'K+)Sigma reactions
R. M. Mohring, et al.
Phys. Rev. C 67, 055205 (2003)
- J/Psi Polarization in 800-Gev p-Cu Interactions
T. H. Chang, et al.
Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 211801 (2003)
- Quasielastic (e,e'p) reaction on 12C, 56Fe and 197Au
D. Dutta, et al.
Phys. Rev. C 68, 064603 (2004)
- Measurements of electron-proton elastic cross sections for
M. E. Christy, et al.
Phys. Rev. C 70, 015206 (2004)
- Near threshold electroproduction of the omega meson at
P. Ambrozewicz, et al.
Phys. Rev. C 70, 035203 (2004)
- Angular Distributions for Lambda3,4H Bound
States in the 3,4He(e,e'K+) Reaction
F. Dohrmann, et al.
Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 242501 (2004)
- Physics of a Rare Isotope Accelerator
D. F. Geesaman, et al.
Ann. Rev. Nucl. Part. Sci 56, 53 (2006)
- Measurement of Angular Distributions of Drell-Yan Dimuons in p + d Interactions at 800 GeV/c
L.Y. Zhu, et al.
Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 082301 (2007)
- Quasifree Lambda, Sigma0 and Sigma+ electroproducion from 1,2H,
3,4He, and carbon
F. Dohrmann, et al.
Phys. Rev. C. 76, 054004 (2007)
- Measurement of Upsilon Production in p+p and P=d Interactions at 800 GeV/c
L. Y. Zhu, et al.
Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 062301 (2008)
- Measurement of Angular Distributions of Drell-Yan Dimuons in p+p Interactions at 800 GeV/c
L. Y. Zhu, et al.
Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 182001 (2009)